Friday, March 10, 2017

Message from the Convenor, IFLA Library History SIG

It is lovely to see that as of today we have a number of followers on our IFLA Library History SIG blog. But where are your posts? Not that I can claim being a great contributor, but then again I don't want to load you with stuff from me. Many thanks to Peter Lor for his post and link to his draft chapter for the momentous tome that he is putting together. And that post was last November! 
On the Library History front: from my little part of the world I can report that because I detected a nascent interest in the topic here in Western Australia (WA), I thought it was time I got things moving – again. My recollection was that the last burst of interest in WA was in 1990 when we held a wonderful Australian Library & Information Association conference here in Perth (during a national commercial pilots' strike – but that's another story) and colleagues Robert Sharman and the late Anne Clyde produced a publication Western Perspectives, which did cover the present and  some of our library history. But since then? Very little has happened. Until now. So wish me luck as I pursue the interest here. We have our first presentation in mid March on From Card Catalogue to Ebooks; a History of Fremantle City Library: 1851-2016.
And you?
Kerry Smith, Convenor, SIG Library History

No comments:

Post a Comment